Gerda Henkel Fellowships (2016-2022) are aimed at
scholars in the field of the Humanities and Social Sciences that come
from the countries of the former Soviet Union, Central Asia and Turkey. There are no thematic
restrictions as regards the proposed project topics. The selection of
fellows is carried out by the CAS Academic Advisory Council in
coordination with the Gerda Henkel Foundation.
Information about the call is disseminated by the Gerda Henkel
foundation; and by CAS Sofia via the established contacts and network of
GERDA HENKEL five-months in-residence fellowships for fundamental
research in the fields of the historical humanities and the social
sciences are granted within the framework of the CAS Advanced Academia
programme and target PhD holders from Afghanistan, Belarus, China (only
Tibet and Xinjiang Autonomous Regions), Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova,
Mongolia, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan.
The programme tallies with CAS institutional philosophy which upholds
that the freedom of research and the responsibility of the researcher
are crucial for creating and communicating important new knowledge to
education and civil society.
Each GERDA-HENKEL Fellow is entitled to:
- Stipend (750 Euro per month);
- Accommodation in Sofia with a working space and internet connection;
- Research expenses (up to 100 Euro per month);
- Travel from the home country to Sofia and back, visa and insurance costs (up to 850 Euro);
- Research field trip abroad during the fellowship period – up to 1500 Euro (a one-time allowance);
library services (lending service, book exchange with the American
University Library in Blagoevgrad, librarian assistance, online
databases and resources, assistance with links to other libraries);
- Administrative and practical support by CAS staff (project coordinator, office manager and librarian);
- Bulgarian language courses (in accordance with the fellow preferences).