CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
2016/2017 GERDA HENKEL FELLOWSHIP
With the support of the Gerda Henkel Stiftung
The Centre for Advanced Study Sofia (CAS Sofia) announces a Call for Applications for its newly opened GERDA HENKEL Fellowship for fundamental research in the fields of the humanities and the social sciences. The five-months in-residence fellowships are granted under the framework of the CAS Advanced Academia programme and supports PhD holders from the following countries: Afghanistan, Belarus, China (only Tibet and Xinjiang Autonomous Regions), Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Mongolia, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan.
CAS Sofia is an independent Institute with international and multidisciplinary profile. Located in Sofia, Bulgaria, it promotes high-level scholarship in the social sciences and the humanities. In addition to supporting focus-group research, CAS Sofia invites outstanding scholars to pursue their individual research projects during in-residence periods of up to five months. The invited Fellows participate in the intellectual life and the scholarly community of the Centre (Bulgarian and foreign fellows) while working on projects of their own choice. Fellows receive adequate material and intellectual support and can profit from the Centre's wide international networks, international seminar- and guest-lecturer programme. CAS Sofia assists Fellows in all practical matters concerning travel, residence and research in Sofia.
FORMAT OF THE GERDA HENKEL FELLOWSHIP
Fellows are entitled to:
- A monthly stipend of 750 euro (liable to 10% income tax) to cover living expenses related to the stay in Sofia;
- Accommodation in Sofia, comprising living quarters and working space. The Fellows will also have free access to the CAS library and electronic resources/databases;
- Travel from the home country to Sofia and back, visa and insurance costs (up to 850 Euro);
- Research field trip abroad during the fellowship period – up to1500 Euros (a one-time allowance);
- Research expenses (100 euro per month).
DURATION AND CONDITIONS
Candidates may apply for two periods:
- I. 1 March 2016 – 31 July 2016 (Summer semester)
- II. 1 October 2016 – 28 February 2017 (Winter semester)
N.B. The final invitation for fellowship depends on the ranking of the application and the preferred period. Availability for both periods is an advantage for the applicant. Please, indicate in the application form whether you prefer one or either period.
The selected Fellows will take part in the regular Fellow seminars and the other scientific events organized by the Centre (workshops, conferences, lectures, etc.) and are invited to present and discuss their project in lectures or seminars. The results of their work shall be summarized in a paper (in English), to be published in the electronic CAS Working Paper Series.
- Be citizens of one of the following countries: Afghanistan, Belarus, China (permanent residence in Tibet or Xinjiang Autonomous Regions), Kasakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Mongolia, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan.;
- Have completed a PhD in the fields of the humanities and social sciences;
- International research experience (participation in projects and refereed conferences) and publications in peer-reviewed academic editions are strong advantages;
- Preference will be given to candidates below the age of 45.
As an international academic institution CAS conducts most of its work in English which is also the language of the presentations of research results. Therefore, a good command of English is highly desirable.
Links for downloading:
Please carefully consider these documents when preparing your application. They can be downloaded also from www.cas.bg.
Two letters of recommendation by scholars familiar with the applicant's academic work should be emailed to CAS by the referees.
Extensions to this period may be allowed in case of eligible career breaks which must be properly documented (maternity leave, long-term illness leave, national service).
All application documents should be presented in English and sent by e-mail to email@example.com with a subject entry "Advanced Academia Fellowships"
Deadline for applications: October 1, 2015
High quality of the candidate's academic portfolio and publications, participation in international research;
Innovative fundamental research proposal with significant contribution;
Interdisciplinary and/or comparative approaches are an advantage.
The selection will be carried out by the international Academic Council of CAS based on evaluation of the potential of the candidate relative to his/her career stage and the quality of the proposed project. In some special cases candidates may be invited for an interview. The results will be announced by the end of January 2016 by e-mail and at the website of the institute: https://cas.bg/ . Members of the CAS Academic Council do not disclose their assessment reports on the applications to candidates.
The Academic Council reserves the right, in cases of candidatures with equal quality, to grant advantage to candidates that have not been CAS Fellows within the preceding 3 years / have not repeatedly held CAS fellowships in the past.
CONTACT PERSON AND MAILING ADDRESS
Mr. Dimiter Dimov, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Centre for Advanced Study Sofia; Sofia 1000, 7-B, Stefan Karadja Str,
tel.: + 359 2 9803704 / fax: + 359 2 9803662