CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
INDEPENDENT FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME
IN THE SOCIAL SCIENCES AND THE HUMANITIES
With the financial support of America for Bulgaria Foundation
The Centre for Advanced Study Sofia announces a Call for Applications for participation in its 2011/2012 Independent Fellowship Programme in the area of social sciences and humanities. CAS will provide:
• Five 5-month fellowships for young Bulgarian researchers; and
• Five 5-month fellowships for established Bulgarian scholars.
The Independent Fellowship Program will support independent research projects of young and established scholars in the area of social sciences and humanities. There will be no disciplinary, methodological or thematic restrictions applied to the project proposals. Selection will be based solely on the potential of the candidate and the quality of the project.
CAS will award the following monthly fellowships to the approved candidates:
• Euro 700 for young scholars
• Euro 1000 for established scholars.
The fellowship includes all taxes and social insurance fees. The fellows will have the opportunity to use working space at the CAS office, have access to electronic resources and become fully integrated in the regular research seminars and discussions taking place within the existing programmes of the Centre.
The Program will be organized in two semesters:
• Semester I: March 1 to July 31, 2011; and
• Semester II: October 1, 2011 to February 29, 2012.
The candidates should indicate their preference for one of the two semesters. The final distribution of approved fellows between the two semesters will be negotiated in view of the thematic coherence of the teams. We expect the approved candidates to be able to dedicate their time entirely to the proposed research.
• All candidates should be Bulgarian citizens.
• Young scholars: post-docs, assistants, academic associates or associate professors with up to 12 years of experience after their thesis.
• Established scholars: associate professor/doctor or professor/doctor with over 12 years of experience after their thesis, minimum of two monographs.
• Previous experience in international projects and publications in renowned academic editions will be considered an advantage.
As an international academic institution CAS conducts most of its work in English. The excellent command of English is a significant prerequisite for the successful integration of the fellow in already existing research teams and planned events. Research results should be presented and published in English. Therefore the level of language proficiency will be taken into consideration during the selection process. We recommend to the candidates to include in the application package a document certifying their knowledge of English.
Applicants should fill in the application form which includes data on:
1. Their research proposal on topic different from the topic of the dissertation (between 2000 – 2200 words) including:
• a short description of the planned research (objectives in the context of the state-of-the-art in the field and importance of the project),
• methodology (including any innovative aspects of the project),
• representative bibliography (10-15 works).
2. CV details and list of publications;
3. Recommended: a relevant text (chapter of a dissertation, publication, etc.) of up to 25 pages in the original language of the publication;
4. For young scholars: two recommendations by established scholars send directly to CAS by fax or y e-mail.
All application documents should be presented in English and sent by e-mail.
Deadline for applications: November 1, 2010
The selection will be carried out by the CAS Academic Advisory Council, an international body composed of prominent scholars in the social sciences and the humanities (https://cas.bg/en/Bodies.html). In the case of applications with equal weight, the reviews may decide to hold an interview with the candidates. The results will be announced by the end of February 2011 by e-mail and at the web-site of the organization: www.cas.bg.
• High quality of the candidate's academic portfolio and publications, as well as participation in international projects;
• Unique and innovative research project with significant contribution;
• Interdisciplinary and comparative approach.
Ms Ralitsa Petrova, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sofia 1000, 7 Stefan Karadja Str, vh. 3, ap. 23
Centre for Advanced Study Sofia
tel.: + 359 2 9803704 / fax: + 359 2 9803662