Information about the call is disseminated by the Gerda Henkel foundation; and by CAS Sofia via the established contacts and network of the institute.
GERDA HENKEL five-months in-residence fellowships for fundamental research in the fields of the historical humanities and the social sciences are granted within the framework of the CAS Advanced Academia programme and target PhD holders from Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, China (only Tibet and Xinjiang Autonomous Regions), Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Mongolia, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Turkey, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan. The programme tallies with CAS institutional philosophy which upholds that the freedom of research and the responsibility of the researcher are crucial for creating and communicating important new knowledge to education and civil society.
Each GERDA HENKEL Fellow is entitled to:
- Stipend (800 Euro per month);
- Accommodation in Sofia with a working space and internet connection;
- Research expenses (up to 100 Euro per month);
- Travel from the home country to Sofia and back, visa and insurance costs (up to 850 Euro);
- Research field trip abroad during the fellowship period – up to 1500 Euro (a one-time allowance);
- CAS library services (lending service, book exchange with the American University Library in Blagoevgrad, librarian assistance, online databases and resources, assistance with links to other libraries);
- Administrative and practical support by CAS staff (project coordinator, office manager and librarian);
- Bulgarian language courses (in accordance with the fellow preferences).